Operation Blackout was an interesting experiment in experiencing life without telecommunication because it allowed me to realize that how telecommunications play an important role in my life. It is really hard to imagine how life would be if there isn’t any telecommunication from now on as I rely heavily on my Mac Book Air and iPhone
The blackout happened in terms of 3 periods of 6 hours. I felt pretty uncomfortable and awkward during the 18-hours without my iPhone because I am always expecting text messages from my friends. Also, I was so not used to the feeling of not having a cell phone in my pocket because iPhone is one of the items I would carry around on a daily basis, just in case if somebody is calling or texting me and provides necessary entertainment while I’m bored. As I turned on my iPhone after 18-hours of blackout, several friends of mine noticed my absence because I usually reply text messages immediately as I received them. They were annoyed that I did not reply and thought I might have lost my iPhone.
Not having Internet was worse than I have expected because I spend most of my time surfing the Internet and gaming when I am at home. In order to cope with the blackout, I tried to do more readings to substitute the time that I originally use to surf the Internet. However, it was so painful because the thought of going to Facebook, checking email and gaming kept popping out in my mind. Fortunately, I managed to survive and I can hardly imagine what would happen to me if this experiment last for a longer period.
I found it so difficult for me to experience the blackout even I divided the 18-hours into 3 periods of 6 hours. The result reflects that my life is mostly dominated by telecommunications and I felt so disconnected with my friends, especially being an international student, telecommunications is necessary to keep contact with my close friends in my hometown.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.